Tuesday, March 25, 2008

VO2max Intervals Hurt. But - I like the Pain!

OK...well, I'm not exactly ready to go to the mentor/coach and tell him "you can say 'I told you so' just yet"....but, damn....got my ass dropped like that (snaps fingers) in the first 5min of the ride! It was pretty cool (temp-wise) and along with the fast pace....the Exercise Induced Asthma kicked in pretty quick.

Shit. I could not get any air in on that short climb up to Thanksgiving Road. 2 of the guys waited on me, but I just couldn't catch them - I motioned for them to just go on....I couldn't get any air in my lungs. Damnit. But, I told Lawrence I wouldn't be riding very far with them....I turned off on Antioch to do my intervals. Remember - you NEVER skip intervals.

6x3min intervals at VO2max with 5min rest between each one. Good googley mooogley!!! They were hard. I also tried to do some last minute sprints....wow, those hurt like crap!!! Started out trying 10s sprints, but couldn't do that. Dropped back to the last 5s and was barely able to complete them. Fark. Hard as hell.

Damn. I soooooooooooooo want to ride with these guys. But, sad as it is, I don't think I'm ready for this pace. I'm a 17-18mph rider. I am positive that on longer rides, I can do this pace. Not so sure I can do 18+ though. Right now, these guys are doing 19+ probably. I just can't do that. I don't know...I'm not giving up yet. It's soon to be 'that time of the month' and maybe that's affecting me somewhat....I don't know.

No comments: