Saturday, January 12, 2008

I Am Disciplined

Yay!!!! There was some question about whether I could ride with Jay and have a disciplined ride, i.e. not hammer the whole time. I was out to prove the nay-sayers wrong today.

I was to meet Jay around 10:30am at our local ride start and we would probably then ride about 40 miles or so. I had intervals to do prior to riding with J and I wanted to be able to ride with him and keep the ride in, preferably my Zone2, maybe Zone3. I got started a bit late and was not going to be able to get back to the start to meet him, so I called and we decided to meet along the route. That was fine, but I was much closer to this meeting place than he was, so I had to wait about 30-45 minutes for him to get there.

I started a new interval once he got there and we began our ride. I did this so that I could see the data for our ride in TrainingPeaks WKO and verify that I had accomplished a disciplined ride. We rode to Micro, out towards Fremont, and then back towards PineLevel. I really tried to not work really hard when pulling because if I did, it would just push my numbers higher and I wanted them to be lower for this part of the ride. For the 2:15hr that he and I rode, I had an NP of 141w and an AP of 118w. I guess it depends on which number you want to look at...the NP is right at the very bottom of my Zone3, so I maybe pushed a little more than I should have. But, the AP is really good, right in the lower to center of my Zone2. Overall, for the entire ride, my NP was 144w and AP was 119w.

The wind made the ride difficult as it seemed like it was always in our faces. Jay is really strong and did a lot of pulling, maybe more than me, but it had to be that way in order for me to accomplish this goal I had. Sorry Jay. :) At some point, the front derailleur on his bike slipped or messed up because he could not get it to go on the big ring. (just built bike). So, he had to ride the last 10-15 miles in only the small ring. It was a great ride, except for the wind and the sun disappearing a lot. I really like riding with Jay, but I just have to be careful and make sure I don't go out and ride hard when I'm not supposed to.

So, some data for you guys and don't laugh at my numbers:)
First Interval:
Duration=8:43min
NP=185w
AP=181w
TSS=14.5 (IF=1.0)
Second Interval:
Duration=7:00min
NP=174w
AP=170w
TSS=10.3 (IF=0.938)

Third Interval:
Duration=8:01min

NP=186w
AP=184w
TSS=13.5 (IF=1.004)
Jay Interval:
Duration=2:15:58.50
NP=141w
AP=119w
TSS=130.1 (IF=0.764)
Entire Ride:
Duration=3:35:03.66
NP=144w
AP=118w
TSS=215.5 (IF=0.781)
Work=1506kJ
Distance=54.166 miles

No comments: