Friday, February 13, 2009

Assault on Mt Mitchell

Well, after looking at the costs for this ride, I've decided to NOT ride AoMM this year. It's just not worth it to me.

Cost break-down:
$80 registration fee
$65 jersey
$12 t-shirt
$15 Sunday evening buffet
$45 bus ticket
$112+tax room at Marriott

That's over $300. Sure, I could not get the jersey & t-shirt knocking the cost down to $250+. But, hell, if I do this ride and survive, I want a damn jersey. And, it's a logistical nightmare for getting back to Spartanburg or even trying to leave from Marion after the ride. Last year, I carpooled with Andy from Marion to Spartanburg and then was able to have my car in Marion and leave after the ride. I'm just not doing it.

There are other rides in the WNC area that I can do which are loop rides, not point to point, so, I'll do something else. I might consider doing Tour de Cashiers Century. I had planned on just doing the metric route, but *someone* keeps saying do it. Always pushing me. Oh well - getting pushed is good. Keeps me on focus. And focus is what I have to do now.

Anyways - no AoMM, at least not from Spartanburg to Mitchell. I might work something out and ride my own AoMM from Sylva/Cullowhee area later in the summer...June starts to slow down for me, so it might happen in June or July......

4 comments:

2whls3spds said...

I always wanted to to do a Race off of Mt Mitchell :>D

Aaron

wolfpack said...

you might have that opportunity if you're wanting to ride AoMM. i'll be registering shortly....just in case i change my mind. if i don't change my mind, it'll will be up for sale.

2whls3spds said...

I don't want to do the assault, been there done that way back in 1978...I want to race DOWN the mountain :>D
FWIW I am one L-A-Z-Y rider, anything that causes me to break a sweat is a nogo. ;-)

Aaron

wolfpack said...

lol. i don't know about racing DOWN MM. that might be kinda tricky!!

i'm registered now. most likely won't do it tho.